Tuesday 29 May 2012

Mom's Mac 'n Cheese Recipe


I told you I would put this recipe up eventually, so here it is! I had a craving for the good ol' fashioned family mac n' cheese recipe over the weekend, so I decided it would be the perfect time to whip it up and get a good blog post out of it at the same time!

This was one of those recipes that my mom could make any night of the week and she could be sure that everyone would completely clean their plates with no hassles and no fuss. EVERYONE in the family LOVES this recipe, and I don't think there is a one among us who wouldn't list homemade mac n' cheese in their top five favorite meals.



Now, I say this is my mom's recipe, when in reality the recipe goes farther back in the family. This is my grandmother's recipe originally, but it is now used by all of her children and grandchildren.  Honestly, until I was a bit older and "more worldly", I didn't know that any other macaroni and cheese recipes existed besides this one. I thought all families ate this recipe. A fair assumption, considering my entire family serves mac n cheese this way!


This recipe is really quick and easy to make. It's one of those recipes where you just prepare the different parts, throw it all in a dish in the oven, and wait for the magic to happen. Great for even the pickiest of eaters (trust me, I've seen it with my own eyes). A delicious dish that the whole family will enjoy, for sure!


Last Month: Pistachio-Chocolate Shortbread Wedges
                      Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge

Mom's Mac 'n Cheese Recipe
Bake Time: 15mins       Yields 6 servings      (WW: 7pts per serving)
Ingredients:
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup milk, more if necessary
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
Bread crumbs, to garnish

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook pasta until al dente.
2) In a small saucepan, melt butter. Mix in flour, then milk, salt and pepper. Stir over a low-medium heat until the sauce is thickened. Add more milk to thin sauce if it gets too thick. Set aside.
3) Pour the cooked pasta into a casserole dish. Pour the white sauce over pasta and mix until pasta is evenly coated. Stir in cubed cheddar cheese so that it is evenly distributed around the pan. Top with bread crumbs as desired.
4) Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

2 comments:

  1. This is really similar to my family mac and cheese, although you guys are fancier than us by adding the bread crumbs! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic. And with the cruddy weather we've been having round these here parts, I'm thinking it would warm up my bones!

    ReplyDelete