Thursday 4 July 2013

Baked Ziti


I am finally back in Nova Scotia! I got back to the east coast last week but I went right from the airport to my cottage in PEI for the Canada Day weekend. The weather wasn't super great but we did have one nicer day.

I arrived home on Tuesday evening and I feel like things are finally starting to level out and calm down. I still have some unpacking to do but I am loving being home. I can't wait to fully start enjoying my summer!



Being home, my family is hoping to take advantage of my cooking/baking as much as possible. I do have a fair amount of time on my hands so if I'm gonna fill the time, it might as well be with food! I will also have more time for blogging. I know I have been a bit AWOL lately but that ends now!

I'm hoping to make a lot of delicious things this summer, but I was only able to bring home a few smaller cookbooks so I'll be tapping into my internet recipes for a lot of my inspiration. Keep checking in for new recipes and I hope everyone gets to enjoy the beautiful weather today!


Baked Ziti
Bake Time: 30mins         Cool Time: 10mins          Yields 8-10 servings

Ingredients:
16oz ziti or penne pasta, cooked
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef
salt and pepper, to taste
2 (28oz) jars spaghetti sauce
6 slices provolone cheese
12 oz light sour cream
6 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2) Bring water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3) In a large skillet, combine onion, garlic, and beef. Cook until beef is browned, then season with salt and pepper. Add both jars of spaghetti sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Layer the ingredients in the following manner: half the ziti, provolone cheese, sour cream, half the sauce, remaining ziti, mozzarella, remaining sauce, parmesan cheese.
5) Bake for 30 minutes until slightly bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

(Recipe adapted from Pip & Ebby)

No comments:

Post a Comment