Wednesday 30 May 2012

Pan-Fried Onion Dip


I love a good onion dip. Our family always used to get onion dip and chips as part of our Christmas Eve Party spread, and as a child (who was picky and hated onions) I instantly turned my nose up at it.
One year my mom convinced me to try some, just to know for sure whether I liked it or not, and thank goodness she did! It was the most delicious of dips! I couldn't believe what I had been missing out on!

We always had store-bought onion dip, but when I saw this recipe for homemade onion dip, I knew I needed to try it out.


The recipe involves making caramelized onions, and when has caramelizing something ever been a bad idea? I have never made caramelized onions before, but during the process the entire apartment had the most delicious smell! So even though the process can take a bit of time, at least you get to enjoy the tasty aromas and dream of how delicious your recipe might turn out.

The great thing about dips is that they're so easy to make, and they are generally loved by all so they're a great addition to any party or potluck. All you need is something to eat with the dip, and you're ready to go!


Last Month: Shepherd's Pie
                      Brown Butter Malt Blondies

Pan-Fried Onion Dip
Cook Time: 30mins      Yields about 2 cups of dip    (WW: 2pts per Tbsp)
Ingredients:
2 large onions
4 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 oz cream cheese, at room temp.
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Directions:
1) Slice the onions in half, then cut each half onion into 1/8-inch slices, making about 3 cups of sliced onions.
2) In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, melt butter and oil. Add sliced onions, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Saute for 10 mins. Reduce heat to a medium-low temperature and let simmer for 20-30 mins, until the onions and caramelized and browned. Let the onions cool.
3) In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Add the onions and mix well. Serve at room temperature, and cover/refrigerate any leftover dip.


(Recipe adapted from Browneyedbaker)

No comments:

Post a Comment