Monday 3 June 2013

Rice and Chicken Casserole


I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

Back from my travels to tropical Cuba and sporting a lovely/painful burn! I was pretty sun-safe all week, but on Thursday we spent the whole day on a catamaran on the water and that just did me in. I could not keep myself safe from that beautiful sunshine. I'm feeling much less pained now, but the first couple days after that were pretty brutal...

I must say though, Cuba was simply amazing. It was exactly what I needed and I am feeling relaxed and less stressed. Needless to say, I'm not super excited to come back and have one month of classes/exams left but I know I'm almost finished so I know I can pull through.

As well, the boyfriend is coming here next week for a few days so I'm pretty excited about that.



Since I have been back, I have been really lazy and not wanting to cook for myself. It's hard to get back into after a week of having food ready whenever you want! So, I decided to share this casserole with you today. It is super easy to make and tastes great. Even picky eaters will be able to enjoy this meal.

Hope you enjoy it, and have a great Monday!


Rice and Chicken Casserole
Bake Time: 30-60mins            Yields: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup rice, cooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups of chicken, cooked and cubed
1 1/2 cup frozen vegetables
1/2 cup half and half
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, diced
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 300 F. 
2) In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and sautee the onions until soft, about 3-5 minutes. 
3) Spoon the cooked rice into a large bowl. Add mushroom soup, chicken, vegetables, cream, cooked onion, salt and pepper and stir until combined. 
4) Spread rice mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese and sliced almonds on top. 
5) Cover with foil and bake until warmed through, at least 30 minutes and up to 60 minutes. Serve immediately. 

(Recipe adapted from Lauren's Latest)

2 comments:

  1. The girl sitting beside you right now3 June 2013 at 11:06

    yummmmmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe. It looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete