Friday 17 January 2014

Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cake


Every year for the Boyfriend's birthday, I make him a cake of his choosing. This year, due to delayed flights coming home after the holidays, I arrived back in town ON his actual birthday and was unable to magically work my magic and whip up a last minute birthday treat.

Luckily, I have a boyfriend who is very understanding and he was willing to accept a late birthday cake the next day. He chose this delicious chocolate and peanut butter cake with a chocolate ganache topping.



When I had originally finished the cake, I wasn't even going to post it because it didn't look like anything fancy, and definitely wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing cake I've ever made..

But when I took my first bite, I knew I HAD to post this one for sure. The cake was heavenly! The perfect balance of chocolate and peanut butter, rich and moist cake, creamy peanut butter filling with a perfect amount of chocolate ganache on top! It doesn't get much better than that :)

Regardless of the fact that the cake was a day late coming, the Boyfriend gobbled it down (along with the rest of the housemates, who also couldn't get enough).

Sorry about the quality of the photos in this post. My camera has been on the fritz, and I had to borrow the Boyfriend's camera for these shots. I swear, as soon as I am done school and making some money, one of the first thing I'm going to buy myself is a decent camera!



Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cake
Bake Time: 45 mins          Yields: One 9-inch, 2-layer cake

Ingredients:
THE CAKE
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

THE FILLING
1/4 cup butter, room temp
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
2/3 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp milk

THE GANACHE
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 cup peanut butter chips, melted
2 Tbsps butter, melted

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add in buttermilk, melted butter, vinegar, and vanilla and mix until just combined. Pour mixture into the prepared pan.
3) Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool fully on rack.
4) While the cake is cooling, make the peanut butter filling. In a medium bowl, combine butter and peanut butter until completely blended and smooth. Slowly add icing sugar, mixing until smooth. Add salt and milk. Add more icing sugar or milk as necessary until mixture is thick but spreadable.
5) When the cake is fully cooled, cut the cake in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Spread the peanut butter filling in between the two half and put the top back on the cake.
6) In a microwave-safe bowl, melt together the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and butter until completely melted and smooth. Spread evenly over the top of the cake and allow ganache to drizzle down the sides of the cake.

(Recipe adapted from Baking Bites)

No comments:

Post a Comment