Sunday 12 January 2014

Mushroom Quiche


My Holidays were all such a whirlwind blur, and getting back into the swing of things with school was no easy task. This first week back has been quite a challenge and it looks like my last semester of my Master's program will be quite a kick in the pants.

I had an amazing Christmas vacation with my family, and spent a lovely week cruising in the Bahamas with my extended family for my Grandmother's 80th birthday celebrations. It was incredible to spend so much quality time with everyone, especially when I don't get to see everyone as much these days.

Coming back to Kingston, besides being sad to leave my family and the warm weather, was dreadful as weather delays in Toronto and Newark delayed my flights for over 8 hours and caused me to be stuck in Toronto overnight/miss the first day back to classes AND miss most of the Boyfriend's birthday (I did make him a cake the next day but I was sad about it, nonetheless).



Anyway, I'm back in Kingston and finally getting my feet on the ground with my classes so things are starting to look up. One of my goals for the new year is to try to blog more. I have been slacking quite a bit and have not been cooking/baking/blogging as much as I would like to be.

I'm starting the year off with this Mushroom Quiche recipe I made a while back. As I've said before, I used to despise quiche whenever my mom made it when I was a kid. Now I quite enjoy quiche and it's fairly quick and easy to whip up!

Hope you enjoy this new recipe, and all that 2014 will have to offer for The Baking Bluenoser! Stay tuned :)


Mushroom Quiche
Prep Time: 25 mins        Bake Time: 45mins total      Yields: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
3 Tbsps olive oil
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 cups fresh mushrooms, washed and chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 pie crust (I use the recipe on the back of the Crisco packages for my pie crusts), or 1 frozen pie shell
1/4 cup swiss cheese, grated

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Roll out pie dough into pan, or remove frozen pie shell from freezer. Set aside.
2) Heat oil on a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions and sautee for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, salt, and lemon juice. Cover and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
3) Uncover and bring to a boil, being sure to stir constantly until all liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
4) In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add milk, pepper, and nutmeg and stir until combined. Add the mushroom mixture to the egg mixture and stir. Pour the filling into the pie shell.
5) Sprinkle swiss cheese evenly over top of mixture. Sprinkle some paprika on top for color. Place the quiche on a cookie tray and bake for 35 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve.

(Recipe adapted from Comda: Recipes 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment