Tuesday 17 December 2013

Grown Up Mac n Cheese


I'M HOME!!

After a long day of traveling yesterday, I'm finally back on the East Coast and ready to get started on all things Christmas! I've done most of my shopping already, though I still have a few little things to get, but my main focus is BAKING! I can't wait to get started on my Christmas baking :)



Since I haven't done any baking yet that I can share with you, I'll leave you instead with this delicious Mac n Cheese recipe that will leave you feeling satisfied an satiated. It's a little bit more sophisticated than regular Mac n Cheese, because it adds multiple varieties of cheese, bacon, and basil.

Even the most picky Mac n Cheese diehards in my family loved it (despite their fierce devotion to Mom's Mac n Cheese).


Grown-Up Mac n Cheese
Prep Time: 30 mins        Cook Time: 35-40 mins        Yields 4 servings

Ingredients:
4 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups macaroni, cooked
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
2 Tbsps flour
5 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
4 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
Bread crumbs
2 Tbsps fresh basil, chopped

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) Warm the milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat, being careful not to boil it. In a separate pot, melt butter and flour together, whisking until combined and smooth. While whisking, slowly add the milk and cook for about 2 minutes, until thickened.
3) Remove pot from heat. Add the gruyere, cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
4) Combine bread crumbs and basil and sprinkle evenly over the top of the pasta. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the top is browned. Serve immediately.

(Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker) 

No comments:

Post a Comment