Wednesday 22 May 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows


The countdown is on, my friends...T-minus 4 days until I am in sunny CUBA!!! This is a much needed vacation and I cannot wait to sink my feet into the warm, sandy beach.

Only one more assignment stands between me and my week of freedom. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!



These cookies are the first thing I have baked since the boyfriend left almost a month ago.

I know, it's shocking!

I just haven't felt the need/urge to bake when I know it's pretty much only for me. It was fine when he was here because I knew he'd eat up anything I made, but since he isn't here it means that the sweets just sit around, tempting me to eat them every single day. I don't really need that food-guilt in my life, do I?

Having said that, these cookies were definitely an excellent baked good to make as my re-entrance back into the baking world. I hope you can enjoy them as much as I did!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows
Bake Time: 10 mins                 Yields 18 cookies

Ingredients:
THE CHOCOLATE DOUGH
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 Tbsps milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsps cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

THE FILLING
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
2/3 cup icing sugar
3 Tbsps milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until completely combined.
3) Sift in flour and cocoa powder, mixing until smooth. Add in baking soda and salt and stir until completely combined. Dough should be moist.
4) In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until completely combined. Dough should be moist, but firm. If dough is too wet, add a bit more icing sugar. If dough is too dry, add more milk.
5) Roll the peanut butter dough into teaspoon sized balls. Take a tablespoon of the chocolate dough, flatten it out, and wrap it around a peanut butter ball. Roll it so that the chocolate dough is completely closed around the peanut butter dough. Complete this for the remainder of the dough.
6) Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container.

(Recipe adapted from Cait's Plate)

No comments:

Post a Comment