Wednesday 18 March 2015

Almond Toffee Double Chocolate Popcorn


While my family and friends back home are freezing to death in this brutal East Coast winter, up in Ontario, I am finally starting to see grass peeking out from beneath the melting snow.  As much as I miss home on a usual basis, I must say that I do not miss that type of weather! Seeing cars in driveways that a completely hidden by huge mountains of snow, and knowing it's the middle of March makes me incredibly sad and disheartened.

I know that the Groundhog said six more weeks of winter, but I am pretty sure those six weeks have passed! Where is Spring?!



For all those sad Nova Scotians freezing their tushes off back home, here is a delicious snack you can make for yourselves to occupy some time while you wait for someone to come dig you out of your homes!

It does not require too many ingredients and it makes a decent amount of sweet, tasty popcorn to satisfy your chocolate cravings. And I know I'm not the only one who gets those cravings...!


Take a look, and enjoy while you all pray for warmer weather! I'll pray for warm weather too, only because I'm terrified that I'll jinx myself and Ontario will get a huge snowfall out of no where...

EEK!


Almond Toffee Double Chocolate Popcorn
Prep Time: 15mins      Yields: ~6 cups popcorn

Ingredients:
1 package plain or lightly buttered microwave popcorn, around 6 cups
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup toffee bits

Directions:
1) Pop the popcorn according to package directions. Empty popcorn bag onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Remove any unpopped kernels.

2) Place white chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high until completely melted and smooth. Scrape melted chocolate into a plastic ziploc bag, and cut a small tip off one of the bottom corners. Use the bag like an icing bag and drizzle the chocolate evenly over top of popcorn.

3) Sprinkle the almonds over top of the chocolate and, using a spoon, gently stir the popcorn to lightly coat the almonds in chocolate. Sprinkle half the toffee bits over top of the popcorn.

4)  Repeat step two with the semisweet chocolate chips. Sprinkle remaining toffee bits over top. Let the chocolate set for 2 hours, then serve. Store in an airtight container.

(Recipe adapted from Picky Palate)

No comments:

Post a Comment