Thursday 19 February 2015

Italian Sausage and Red Pepper Risotto


HELLLOOOOOOO!!!

Sorry, I know I disappeared again, RIGHT after I said I was going to try to post weekly...

Don't you hate when that happens?

Unfortunately, I work at a hospital which means I am basically battling the flu on a constant basis from Christmas until April. Plus, when food blogging is not my main occupation, my real life has a tendency to get in the way.

ANYWAY...

Enough of a tangent..What I have for you today is one of THE BEST risotto recipes I have ever made. The fiance´ and I have made this recipe numerous times and are always extremely satisfied with the outcome. If you have never had risotto and are looking for a good intro-to-risotto recipe, this is the one to choose!


I hope you enjoy this as much as I do, and have a GREAT weekend!



Italian Sausage and Red Pepper Risotto
Prep Time: 15mins        Cook Time: 45mins              Yields: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
5 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsps butter
8 oz Italian sausage, casing removed
3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
4 oz white mushrooms, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped

Directions:
1) In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer.
2) In a large saucepan over high heat, melt butter then add sausage and cook until lightly browned and crumbly. Add onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms and saute until tender, approx. 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Add rice to meat mixture and stir to coat rice. Add the wine and simmer until wine is almost completely evaporated.
4) Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time and stir until each 1/2 cup is almost absorbed before adding the next.  Stir constantly. Keep adding and stirring until rice is tender, approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat.
5) Stir in 3/4 parmesan cheese. Transfer risotto to serving dish. Garnish with parsley and remaining parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

(Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)

No comments:

Post a Comment