Sunday 6 April 2014

Chocolate Chip Orange Pound Cake


In my family, April is the month of birthdays. My mom and brother both have birthdays within less than a week of one another, and multiple extended family members have birthdays in the mix as well. Today is my mom's birthday, and I'm sad I can't be home to celebrate with her. Although it might not be one of the fanciest cakes I've ever made, I still felt that it was fitting to post a cake recipe on her birthday.

I was interested to make this cake for a while, as I am a big fan of the chocolate-orange combo (gotta love me some Terry's chocolate orange!). This cake is exceptionally rich and moist, and absolutely delicious. The orange flavor isn't as strong as I thought it would be but still gives the cake that subtle hint of something a little extra. Like I said before, although this cake may not be super fancy, it'll be sure to win over anyone who tastes it.


Chocolate Chip Orange Pound Cake
Bake Time: 45-50 mins            Yields 10 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp grated orange peel
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan, set aside.
2) Cut butter and cream cheese into 1-inch slices and put into the bowl of a food processor. Add sugar and process until smooth and completely combined.
3) Add eggs, vanilla, and orange peel and process until combined. Add flour and baking powder and process.
4) Stir in mini chocolate chips, then pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
5) Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with extra granulated sugar and serve.

(Recipe adapted from Hershey's Fabulous Desserts)

No comments:

Post a Comment