Wednesday 9 October 2013

Walnut Shortbread Squares


This week is my last week of classes for the semester. Next week is exams, and then I'll be moving to Peterborough and starting my second clinical placement. This is a period of high stress and I have been on the go non-stop for what feels like an eternity!


One thing that is making me excited is the Thanksgiving long weekend which is coming up. Not only is it a little break from school, but it is also a time to share good food with good friends. I'm sad I won't get to go home for the holiday, but my housemates and I are planning a nice Thanksgiving dinner so that will be delightful.

These bars I'm sharing today could be a great dessert to bring to any Thanksgiving you might be attending. Take a look and enjoy :)

Walnut Shortbread Squares
Bake Time: 45 mins      Yields 25 bars

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup AP flour
25 walnut quarters

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a 9x9inch metal pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until light a fluffy. Add in sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and salt. Mix until completely combined.
3) Add the chopped walnuts. Add the flour in small portions, mixing between each addition.
4) Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Cut the bars into 25 and press a walnut quarter into the top of each square.
5) Bake for 45 minutes, until squares turn golden. Remove from oven and re-cut bars. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

(Recipe adapted from Canadian Living: Best Brownies and Bars)

No comments:

Post a Comment