Tuesday 11 June 2013

Gruyere, Bacon & Potato Soup


I can almost feel how close I am to the end of the school year! Less than a week of classes left, then just over a week of exams, a 3-day workshop and I'm home free...I am eagerly awaiting that day :)

This year has been incredible and I have had some amazing experiences and met some fantastic people! As much fun as it has been, I must say, I am very VERY excited to be going home for some much needed R&R. I haven't seen my family or friends back home since Christmas, and my heart is longing for the Maritimes. I need a little ocean breeze in my life again!


Even though I am eagerly counting down the days, I still need to eat, and thus I still have lots of delicious things to post for you. One of those things is this scrumptious Gruyere, Bacon & Potato Soup. I love me a good soup recipe, and this is one the keep for sure.

Anything with bacon and potatoes in it is going to be a keeper for me, clearly.

Anywho, enjoy this recipe, and to my friends on the East Coast, I'll be seeing you all very soon!!! :)


Gruyere, Bacon & Potato Soup
Cook Time: 30 mins         Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients:
2 Tbsps olive oil
3 slices bacon, chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
1 Tbsp dry sherry
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
1) In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil. Add bacon and onions and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
2) Pour the chicken stock and 2 1/2 cups of water into the pot. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. The potatoes should be tender
3) In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and remaining half cup of water. Add to the pot, cover and simmer. Stir frequently, and cook for about 5 minutes.
4) In a food processor, blend the Gruyere with 1 1/4 cups of the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot. Add the sherry and worcestershire sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.

(Recipe adapted from 200 Student Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment