Thursday 1 March 2012

Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake



Before I start this post, I'll apologize upfront for the photos. I had this one last recipe to add that I had made before I started The Baking Bluenoser. I promise from now on, all posts will have new and pretty pictures!

I have been having some issues when I'm deciding what I want to bake/cook. I have a lot of things that I REALLY love to eat. I could do a whole blog devoted to chocolate, peanut butter, chicken, pasta, and garlicky things, but that might get a little boring for all of you! So, I'm attempting to try a variety of different recipes and keep things spicy and fresh!



I'm not gonna lie to you though, I can assure you there will be A LOT of chocolate-based posts. I'm afraid I cannot do anything about that. I have absolutely no self-restraint when it comes to chocolate.

Basically, what I am trying to say is, if you are feeling a certain lack of any type of recipe here or you have a recipe you REALLY want me to try, then I am completely open to suggestions! Just leave a comment on a post and I will see what I can do!



Today's recipe is one that, as soon as I saw it, I knew it was a necessity for me to make it. To put it simply, you make a pan of brownies, cut them up, and throw them in a cheesecake....then you smother that cheesecake in a chocolate ganache.....are you KIDDING ME?!

No I'm not kidding, and it was one of the BEST cheesecakes I have ever had. 

You need to make this.


Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake

THE BROWNIES
Ingredients:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil, and make sure the ends flap over the sides of the pan. Grease the foil with cooking spray or butter.
2) Coarsely chop your chocolate and melt it in a bowl with your butter (microwave on high for about 2 mins).
3) Once your mixture is melted and smooth, add sugar, eggs and vanilla and blend completely. Add flour and salt and mix well. Pour into your prepared pan.
4) Bake 30-35 mins, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs. Cool on a wire rack, them remove brownies from pan by foil handles.
5) Cut your brownies into one inch cubes. (In the recipe I used, it said that you'd have 2 extra cups of brownies left over...I did not see this and therefore used the WHOLE pan of brownies in my cheesecake. I would definitely using the whole pan, but this is coming from a self-diagnosed chocoholic so use your own discretion).
*Note: You can actually make the brownies beforehand if you don't have the time to make the whole cake at once

THE CRUST
Ingredients:
3 cups finely ground Oreo cookies
10 Tbsps unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
1) Stir together ingredients and press into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan. Fill immediately or chill for up to two hours

THE CHEESECAKE
Ingredients:
 3 (8-ounces) pkgs cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F
2) Beat cream cheese and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until completely incorporated and scraping the sides of the bowl in between each egg. Add vanilla.
3) Gently fold in the brownie cubes and pour on top of your prepared crust. 
4) Put the springform pan on a shallow baking pan (This will catch any butter that drips out of the crust)
5) Bake for 45 mins. Your cake should be a little wobbly in the center. Cool completely

THE GANACHE
Ingredients:
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp icing sugar

Directions:
1) Put your chopped chocolate in a medium sized mixing bowl.
2) Microwave butter and cream on high for 1 min. Pour melted mixture over top of your chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
3) Whisk in your vanilla and icing sugar, and pour it on top of the cheesecake while it is still warm.
4) Chill until ready to serve.



(Recipe adapted from Browneyedbaker)

No comments:

Post a Comment