Sunday 26 February 2012

Oreo Cheesecake Truffles


I made these little chocolate bombs at Christmas time. I love truffles, I love cheesecake, and anything oreo-chocolatey-goodness is A-okay in my books! These were a big hit with everyone. Rich little balls of delicious oreo cheesecake covered in a chocolate ganache and drizzled with white chocolate. Sooooooo gooodddddd....


I found the recipe on one of my favorite food blogger's site (browneyedbaker) and I couldn't resist the temptation to make them, they just looked so good!! Now, if you look at the ones she made, you will see that I obviously don't have her same flair for creative decoration (notice my *ahem* "classy" drizzle job....). I was a bit hesitant about my truffle-making skills, but the cheesecake filling is surprisingly easy to handle and manipulate with very little mess and the chocolate coating was easier than I had expected.

I wish all my fellow rookie truffle-makers luck in making these delicious candies and I hope you have fun making them!

Oreo Cheesecake Truffles
Prep Time: ~1hr 20mins        Yields 48 truffles

Ingredients:
1 pkg Oreo cookies (double stuffed is always better)
1 pkg (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsps vegetable shortening

Directions:

1) Crush the oreos (the whole cookie, including cream filling) in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor that you can put them in a plastic bag, or between two sheets of waxed paper and crush them with a rolling pin.

2) Put roughly 3 cups of crushed oreo into a bowl and add cream cheese. Mix the two ingredients together until it is completely combined and smooth. 

3) Take heaping teaspoons of the mixture and roll them into little balls. Place oreo cheesecake balls onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper and refrigerate them for about 30 mins.

4) In a small bowl, combine chocolate chips and vegetable shortening and microwave until they are combined and smooth throughout (30s increments work best, stirring in between each time. This will help avoid burning the chocolate).

5) Take the oreo balls one at a time, and dip them into the chocolate mixture. Roll them around to make sure they are completely covered. To remove from chocolate, scoop up the oreo balls using a clean fork to allow excess chocolate to drip off. Tap the fork on the side of your bowl a few times to remove the excess. Then set the truffle back on the waxed paper. You can use a clean knife to help you shimmy the oreo ball off the fork. Repeat this process for all truffles, then return the finished product to the fridge for another 30 mins.

6) Garnish truffles with melted white chocolate and remaining oreo crumbs (or as desired)


(Recipe adapted from Browneyedbaker)

1 comment:

  1. These look so delicious! I've never made truffles before, but when I do, these will be the first ones that I try!

    ReplyDelete