Sunday 16 February 2014

Weekend Roast with Crusty Potatoes


Hello again everyone! I hope you all had a happy Valentine's/Galentine's/Palentine's day! Wherever you were and whoever you spent it with, I hope your day was full of love and happiness :)


I can tell you that my day was FOR SURE full of happiness for a number of reasons. The Boyfriend and I have been together for five and a half years so we've had our fair share of Valentine's Days together. I was a bit slacking on the girlfriend department this year since I had a TON of projects and presentations all due this week and things have been pretty hectic. But the boyfriend is the master and he made reservations for us at a very fancy restaurant. The whole night was wonderful, full of great food, great conversation, and lots of love. When we got home, he had gotten me flowers and pictures from every year we had been together.

Melt my heart!


Another reason why my day was so spectacular is because WE GOT PUPPIES!!! Well, foster puppies, but still pretty exciting!

It was time for the kittens to go back to the shelter but the staff there had two 7-week old boxer-lab mixes waiting for us to take home in return! As difficult as it was to say goodbye to the kittens, the puppies have definitely filled the void. But having two baby puppies is fairly equivalent to having two baby humans. I feel like I'm in training for the future! They wake me up in the middle of the night, get in to all kinds of trouble, and the house training! JEEZ! (Actually, I can't complain too much. They're catching on quite quickly). Needless to say, I'm being kept quite busy!

The Boyfriend and me, on our Valentine's dinner date

I feel like I've been rambling on for a long time about nothing to do with this recipe. My bad...

This is a pretty standard "meat and potatoes" type of recipe, but it sort of fancies things up a bit. Sometimes, the Boyfriend and I like to pretend we are very classy people instead of poor students, so we'll make a dish like this.

I really enjoyed it and it's not too difficult to make if you're in a jam and need something for a dinner party or just a quiet night at home. Hope you enjoy!

Our two new puppies, Honey (left) and Ellie (right)

Weekend Roast with Crusty Potatoes
Prep Time: 15mins         Bake Time: 50mins total          Yields: 6 servings       (WW: 6pts per serving)

Ingredients:
2 tsps olive oil, divided
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1 1/2 lbs tri-tip beef roast, trimmed
Grated zest and juice of one lemon
2 tsps Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 lbs small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and quartered 
8 shallots, peeled 

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) In a small bowl, stir together 1 tsp olive oil, rosemary and 1/4 tsp salt. Rub mixture all over beef. 
3) Spray heavy roasting pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook until brown on all sides, approximately 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
4) In a large ziploc bag, combine lemon zest and juice, mustard, garlic, and remaining oil and salt. Squeeze the bag to mix well. Add the potatoes and shallots to the bag and shake until vegetables are coated in mixture. Scatter potatoes and shallots around the beef. 
5) Roast the beef until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 145 F, and until potatoes and shallots are tender, approximately 40 minutes. Transfer roast to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, spread potatoes and shallots in the roasting pan in an even layer. Return to oven and roast, turning potatoes and shallots once or twice, until potatoes begin to crisp, about 10 minutes. Cut the roast into 12 slices and serve with potatoes and shallots. 

(Recipe adapted from WeightWatchers One Pot Cookbook)

1 comment: