Tuesday 28 January 2014

Turkey Pot Pie with Savory Biscuit Topping


Do you ever feel sometimes like, as much as you try, your life is never as organized as you'd like it to be? I have been feeling lately that I cannot seem to get my schedule in order and figure out when and what I am supposed to be doing. Things really have a way of creeping up on you!

For instance, I cannot believe that January is almost over. I have no idea where the time has gone, and I feel like the rest of the semester will follow suit in the same way and before I know it, I'll be done school. Time is moving too quickly for my liking!



Today, I am sharing this delicious pot pie recipe. The summer savory in the biscuit topping makes this meal taste like a big Christmas turkey dinner. One thing I did notice is that I didn't have quite enough topping to cover the whole pie, so I would probably increase the recipe a bit if you decide to make it.

For a yummy dish that is sure to please the crowds, give this pie a try!


Turkey Pot Pie with Savory Biscuit Topping
Prep Time: 25mins    Bake Time: 25-30 mins     Yields 8 servings

Ingredients:
THE BISCUIT TOPPING
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp summer savory
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
2/3 cup milk

THE POT PIE
2 Tbsps butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cups potato, finely diced
1 cup turnip, finely diced
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
1 cup carrot, finely diced
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp summer savory
1/4 tsp thyme
2 tsps salt
5 cups turkey stock (chicken stock works too)
1 1/2 cup turkey, cooked and chopped

Directions:
THE BISCUIT TOPPING
1) In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, summer savory, parsley and thyme. Cut in cold butter until crumbly.
2) Gradually add milk, mixing just until dough comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to fit a 9x13 inch pan.

THE POT PIE
1) Preheat oven to 325F.
2) In a large pan, melt butter. Add onion, potato, turnip, celery, and carrot. Sautee for 5-7 minutes.
3) In a small bowl, mix flour, summer savory, thyme, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the veggies in the pan, stirring constantly. Allow veggies to brown, but not burn.
4) Add turkey stock, one cup at a time, stirring until thickened. Turn vegetables into the 9x13 inch pan and top with savory biscuit topping.
5) Bake for 25-30 minutes, until topping is browned and filling is bubbly. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. she who must not be named2 February 2014 at 14:06

    We want kitten pictures!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete