Sunday 29 September 2013

Beefy Corn and Black Bean Chili


As a student, I love making a meal that leaves me with tons of leftovers. Leftovers means that I have automatic lunches and dinners for the next couple days, leaving me with more time to do other things (like copious amounts of reading and schoolwork!).

One of my favorite big meals to make is a huge, hearty pot of chili. I find that chili always fills me up and makes me feel all warm and cozy, especially on cold days.



Oddly enough, even though it is officially Fall now, the weather in Kingston has been warmer than it was for the past couple weeks! It feels like the second coming of Summer, complete with shorts, flip flops, and sunglasses!

Even though I might not need the soup to warm me up, it's still a delicious meal that will last me for a while. Hope you enjoy!


Beefy Corn and Black Bean Chili
Cook Time: 30mins         Yields: 6 servings            (WW: 4pts per 1 cup serving)

Ingredients:
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 tsps chili powder
1 (14oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
fat-free sour cream (for topping, optional)
sliced green onions (for topping, optional)

Directions:
1) In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine beef an chili powder. Cook the beef until browned and crumbled, about 6-8 minutes. Drain the fat and return the meat to the pot.
2) Add corn, beans, beef broth and tomato sauce. Stir until completely combined. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Spoon chili into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of sliced onions. Serve immediately.

(Recipe adapted from WeightWatchers Magazine March 25, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment